Friday, September 19, 2008

Be Like Mike

A good friend wrote a comment to my last posting and I wanted to feature it in this posting.

Mike Loiacono and I have known each other since 1973. Together, we started our very first business in 1984 (Spectrum Mobile Disc Jockey Service). He taught me many great lessons about business, while I showed him that people really will dance to “Crocodile Rock” (he almost killed me when I cued that song up at a wedding reception...surprisingly, it didn't clear the dance floor!). Mike has gone on to become a big shot CFO (chief financial officer) for a publicly traded company and I can attribute much of my accounting knowledge to discussions I have had with him. Thanks Mike!

Here's some of what he wrote in his comment:

“I would like to add to your blog if I may. Not only is it important for the business owner to 'learn not to be there' it is equally as important for the business owner to plan for one or more of their employees to 'not be there'. And what I am referring to is the importance of cross-training. A well-oiled machine works as well as the sum of all of its parts. What an organization does not want is for its operations to stumble when one part is missing.

As CFO, I have created and implemented a TCE (Train, Cross-train and Empower) program. Each of my employees are not only trained to perform their functions, but are also able to fill in when someone else in the department is out. This type of program satisfies two of my concerns as a manager:
1.) Enabling the department to run effectively even when there is absenteeism (or 'what happens if you get hit by a bus')
2.) I am NEVER backed into a corner by a potentially disgruntled employee who has a gun to my head because he/she is the only one who knows the job.

While smaller (and some larger) businesses may not have the wherewithal to produce training videos similar to those of the major fast food establishment you referred to in your post, it is indeed vital for all organizations to invest the time to develop detailed training manuals for all of the functions of the organization.

An organization cannot allow employee turnover (or absenteeism) to impact customer satisfaction. The best investments a business owner (or manager) can make are the investment of time in the hiring process and the investment of time in training and cross-training.”


Mike's advice is exceptional and I appreciate his sharing of these philosophies. The development of detailed training manuals and “cross training” are best practices that more companies should embrace.

His comment about “the only one who knows the job” is one that particularly strikes a nerve with me, as I have actually seen previously successful businesses fail when a key member of the organization leaves. Management should accept the responsibility to develop contingencies for the absences or departure of each member of their staff. If not, the odds for long term business survival are greatly diminished.

Life happens. Employees are going to miss shifts, sometimes for legitimate reasons and sometimes do to poor judgment. Employees are going to eventually leave your organization. Sometimes it will be by their choice, sometimes it will be your choice and, unfortunately, sometimes it may be due to circumstances beyond the control of either party. While you can continue to value your employees for what they offer your organization, reality dictates that they will not be there forever and your business should be prepared for the temporary or permanent absence of every member of the staff. As Charles De Gaulle once said, “The graveyard is filled with indispensable men.”

No comments:

Post a Comment