Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Remembering Vic Saracini

In my 17 years as the owner of bagel stores, I have had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people. Being in retail, I've been blessed to have thousands of customers who would share more than just a business transaction with me. In this post, I am not going to talk about business, but rather, I would like to share a personal story about a customer.

Today I am thinking about a customer who came into my Pennsylvania store back in early May of 1996 and started a conversation with me. The conversation starter was a little sign that I put up announcing the arrival of my daughter, Sarah. Sarah was my second child and first girl. The customer, an airline pilot, noticed the sign and congratulated me. I made a comment how I wasn't prepared to be the father of a girl. He smiled and told me about his two young girls and how they make it so easy. “They are little princesses,” he said, “they are so loving, they are so devoted to their Daddy. It's such a great feeling coming home to them.” It was quite some time ago and I am going from memory, but I am pretty sure he used “princess” and “devoted” when describing his daughters. I think he may have said “beautiful,” as well, but I'm not sure. I really wish I could remember the conversation better.

Why do I want to remember his exact words? Because I want to share the love I heard in this man's voice for his family. I want people to know about this special person, who just came to my store for a quick snack and took the time to share a kind thought and a smile.

September 11, 2001 was a tragic day; not because an infamous event occurred, but because this kind gentleman, Vic Saracini, passed away on that day. While many people refer to that day as “Nine Eleven,” it was more than just a catch phrase, event in our history. It was a day when over 3,000 loving and caring people were senselessly murdered by cowards. I am sure there is probably a more effective way to express my emotions about that horrific day, but the words escape me.

I did not know Vic Saracini well enough for me to be able to write much more. There is a “Garden of Reflection” in Lower Makefield, PA that provides tribute to the lives forever changed on that tragic day.

Garden of Reflection

There will be various remembrances on September 11th this year and for years to come. I hope we not only unite as Americans in remembering the day, but also take the time to think of the people who perished. Their lives may have been taken, but they will never be lost if they remain in our memories.

1 comment: